BatesMeron is adding a mid-level designer to our team. Read on to find out if it could be you.
Who you are:
You’re a kick-ass creative go-getter who sees design in everything. You take the initiative to create great design every day and take pride in inspiring your fellow designers to do the same. You follow direction—and then push the concept in unexpected ways. You’re a strategic thinker, approaching projects logically, solving them intelligently and excel at conveying your vision to the rest of the team.
You realize your potential and have ambitions as a growing professional. You want to have direct access to agency leadership. You have a willingness to learn, ask questions and be resourceful and flexible. You approach each new opportunity with enthusiasm and an eagerness to produce stunning and smart design. You bring confidence to your role and understand there is a huge potential for personal growth.
Not only do you know how to keep multiple projects organized at the same time, you’re an expert at prioritizing a serious workload.
You have reached a point in your career where you can separate good work from great work. You’re diplomatic and respectful, understanding that the best creative work comes from collaboration. Your experience and wisdom have taught you the value of honesty and loyalty with both your peers and the company you work for.
It is crucial to us—and you—that you be a great communicator, whether orally or in written word. You realize a big part of that is being an active listener. You have the confidence to appreciate critiques and feedback.
You love a challenge and you understand that even the smallest jobs deserve your best effort. You are curious and excited to learn about new brands, techniques and insights.
What you do:
Your job as mid-level designer will be fast-paced and challenging. This position is considered a stepping stone to an Sr Designer and Assoc Creative Director. It will also be highly rewarding, full of creative expression and never dull. Here’s some of the things you’ll do:
- Brainstorming. When we do it, it’s fun. Your ideas will be crucial in these sessions. Our sessions provide just enough structure to ensure necessary results—and enough freedom to produce a wide variety of creative ideas.
- Present the ideas of you and your team to our internal staff as well as to clients. You will do this with poise and confidence, and also an enthusiastic desire to share opinions and receive feedback. The client isn’t always right, but they are always respected.
- Conduct discovery meetings with clients—learning like a sponge about their hopes and dreams for their brand. You’ll help develop-create briefs to articulate their desires. You’ll collaborate with BatesMeron copywriters to ensure the most accurate and creative solutions are born from those meetings. You’ll collaborate with your other designers and Creative Directors to produce work without isolation—helping you to reach new achievements and pride in your development!
- You’ll enjoy a boutique agency environment, including the perk of working on a wide breadth of project types including: Brand development of logos and graphic standards, direct mail concepts and campaigns, web designs where you’ll work hand-in-hand with the programmers, event themes and support materials, POS and packaging design, and digital marketing across every channel. And the best part is getting to guide projects from inception to completion within your team.
- You’ll art direct and design, and you will always be a mentor to the other designers and creative staff. Your expertise is valuable in their growth.
- BatesMeron loves print and so should you. You know your way around a print project, including estimating, printing techniques, paper stocks and production. (Yep, you may have to do production.)
What you need:
- A degree in graphic design, communications, advertising or marketing: or equivalent. We’re not snooty here. Tell us what you’ve got, an Associates? Cool. An apprenticeship? Tell us all about it.
- 3-4 years agency experience, we’re fast paced here and need you to know the ropes
- Complete command of design software including, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and Microsoft Office (there’s no way to avoid spreadsheets forever)
- A strong desire to grow every single day
- A creative and inspiring portfolio—we don’t care WHO you’ve worked for, we care HOW you’ve worked for them
- An infectiously positive attitude, there’s no room for apathy here—we are beyond passionate for our clients
- You have to love animals—because if not, you’re probably not a good person and we don’t want to hang out with you
- An understanding of when its time to be casual and when its time to button it up
- Let’s get this out of the way, we’re hybrid and flexible, and also a team that loves collaboration. Currently, our work schedule is 3 days in the office per week, 2 days from home. We adapt, as needed, to the world around us.
- We’re highly creative and so are you
- We laugh, we enjoy our work and we bring our dogs to the office
- We create work that we’re tremendously proud of
- We foster a casual professionalism (you’ll see)
- We have amazing snacks—we’re talking about a cornucopia of noms (amazing granola, Hot Pockets, veggie burgers, Pop-Tarts, hot dogs, chips, vegan snacks, crackers, an array of bubbly waters…the list goes on)
- Our awesome Michigan Avenue location features Grant Park as our front door and daily inspiration from our lake view
- You can grow and achieve here—we encourage you to be ambitious about your career goals
- Your voice will be heard—we all communicate directly with each other and we respect everyone’s views
- Our team values each other in a big way—and we show that gratitude at events and parties that are an extension of our personality (not boring)
- We have health benefits, a 401k matching program, vacation time, personal time and we encourage each other to calmly step away from the computer when things get too stressful
- We spend our days creating beautiful brands and marketing tools for our clients, not stuck in meetings
- If your heart is pounding and you’ve got tingles because this is the PERFECT job for you, please shoot an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line PICK ME! Please include a brief intro to yourself and a link to your portfolio and resume. We can’t wait to meet you!