BatesMeron is looking for a seasoned wordsmith to join our growing team as a Copy Lead. Here’s the type of person we’re looking for. If you’re amazed by how well we just described you after reading, let us know—we’d definitely like to meet you.
Who you are:
You’re a creative mind and a stickler for perfect prose who is excited to dive into the world of branding, bold design and emerging strategy. You take the initiative to absorb great writing every day and channel this inspiration into your work. You follow direction—and then push the concept in unexpected ways.
You’re a strategic thinker, ready to approach projects logically and solve them intelligently. And you’re eager to learn, ask questions and be resourceful. You have a vision for your future as a copywriter and aspirations of becoming Creative Director. You want to further hone your skills and be seen and heard. You’re ready to share creative ideas and have the confidence to appreciate critiques and feedback—after all, the best creative work comes from collaboration.
What you do:
Your job as a Copy Lead will be fast-paced and highly rewarding, full of creative expression and never dull. Here’s some of the things you’ll do:
- Writing: Tackle assignments and learn the ropes with voracious enthusiasm.
- Collaboration: Work alongside writers, designers and project managers to ensure the most accurate and creative solutions are brought to life for our clients.
- Process: Learn and master our proprietary processes for building beautiful brands and effective marketing materials.
- Brainstorming: Come prepared. When we do it, it’s fun, with just the right balance of structure and freedom.
- Social media: Flex your mastery of Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram, helping to promote the agency and engage with our followers in collaboration with our design team.
- Agency life: Enjoy a boutique agency environment, including the perk of working on a wide breadth of project types including:
- Brand development
- Tagline generation
- Marketing strategy
- Direct mail campaigns
- Website development
- Event themes and support materials
- POS and packaging copy
- Digital marketing across every channel
What you need:
- A Bachelor’s Degree with an academic focus in communications, advertising or marketing (preferably with a focus in copywriting).
- 3+ years of experience in copywriting—our focus is branding & marketing.
- Complete command of grammar and the English language—all styles—and a sense of when to break the rules.
- Strong writing skills, both long-form and short quips.
- A portfolio—we don’t care who you worked for, we care about the quality of your content.
- A love of animals—because if not, you’re probably not a good person and we don’t want to hang out with you.
- Flexibility. Sometimes we’re formal, sometimes we’re casual. We adapt to our clients and create to suit their needs.
- We value each other in a big way—and show gratitude at events that are an extension of our personality
- We create beautiful brands in a really cool environment that will offer new career skills daily
- We’re highly creative, and since you are too, we’ll get along well
- We create work that we’re tremendously proud of
- We laugh, we enjoy our work and we bring our dogs to the office
- We work at an awesome South Loop office just blocks off the Red, Green and Orange Lines (when we aren’t working remotely during a global pandemic, that is)
- Our front yard is Grant Park, and we encourage lunches, walks and breaks
- We stock the kitchen with what our team requests!
- We offer health insurance and 401k
- We want you to grow and achieve here—be ambitious about your career. Zero politics. Ever.
This is a full-time position that, due to the situation surrounding the global pandemic, is currently remote. We do request that you be available to join us full-time in our South Loop office when we return to in-person work.
“Sweet mother of pearl, that’s totally me! How do I apply?” you say?
Send us your resume and portfolio or examples of your work. Please include a note telling us why you want to be our newest Copy Lead (2-3 bullet points that set you apart) and let us know your availability to chat more about this opportunity.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com; please include “Copy Lead 2021” in the subject line.